Stage 5 - Puebla de Sancho Perez to Los Santos de Maimona (11Km): 01/09/2014 08:04

Never touch a prickly pear

This was a relatively easy day as we planned to walk just 9.5km. We seem to have missed a turn on the way into Zafra, which added a little, I also went on a short walkabout without my backpack in Zafra and we added a bit more trying to find a place to stay in Los Santos. 

We left Hostal de Monte at 8:00am and were sitting down for breakfast in Zafra at  9:15am. It was about 10:10am when we started moving slowly through what is a fine small town. We then had to climb a long hill for about 3km before dropping sharply into Los Santos de Maimona. The first place of significance we came across was the town hall so we asked there about the albergue (the guidebooks seemed unsure if it was still functioning). We were told that it was still in use (at least we think that is what was said) and that we should call at the police station for the key. We were also told that there was a pension in the same direction. We had walked a long way when we found the pension and decided to look no further. Hostal Rosa is cheap, clean and cheerful, with bar and restaurant attached. What more could we ask?

One thing I learned today - never touch a prickly pear. I thought I could pick one up if I was cautious. I had it in one hand and cut it open before throwing it away again and didn't feel a thing. Quickly then it started to feel as if I had a nettle sting. A close inspection revealed dozens of miniscule hair-like spikes stuck into my fingers. Scraping my fingers with the blade of a knife removed most of them but I am still conscious of them five hours later.

We are not going to be ambitious with our walks this week as we do not want to reach Merida before Friday.

The Castle of Zafra 

Iglesia parroquial de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles in Los Santos de Maimona 

Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles doorway

Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles doorway
Next: Stage 6 - Los Santos de Maimona to Villafranca de los Barros




Comments